Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Poverty reduction is an important element of German government overall policy, which is guided by the principle of sustainable development. Development policy is formulated by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). Besides the BMZ the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) is also supporting the SADC water sector. The German government has defined ten priority areas for action on poverty reduction which it is pursuing both in its bilateral relations and in its involvement at the European level and in international institutions. This includes ensuring access to vital resources and fostering an intact environment. In the framework of transboundary water cooperation Germany takes action at four different levels: "By engaging in multilateral policy dialogues, the German government helps set standards and rules at the international level. By supporting regional water collaboration, German development cooperation fosters networking amongst the partners in question. Through institutional and sector-specific technical advice, German development cooperation strenghens the effectiveness and efficiency with which basin organizations fulfill their tasks. And at local level, investment is supported through the provision of financial resources" (from BMZ: "Special 136: Transboundary Water Cooperation - A BMZ Position Paper").
The BMZ differs from other government bodies in that it does not have a typical institutional sub-structure. The ministry commissions the so-called implementing organisations. The implementing organisations of official German development assistance include the Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft (DEG – German Investment and Development Company), the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and the KfW Entwicklungsbank (KfW development bank).
- Review of Existing Infrastructure in the Orange River Catchment
- Demographic and Economic Activity in the four Orange Basin States
- Summary of Water Requirements from the Orange River
- Water Quality in the Orange River
- Review of Surface Hydrology in the Orange River Catchment (showing 5 of 84 documents - view all documents)
- Watersong: Every River Is A Piece Of Sky
- “TERRAVIVA”-newsletter from 4th RBO Workshop
- ORASECOM Newsletter No. 1
- ORASECOM Newsletter No. 2
- Engineering Review: Biggest trans-boundary water and sanitation project for Angola and Namibia (showing 5 of 18 articles - view all articles)
- May 21 2013 - Water in the Anthropocene. Challenges for Science and Governance. Indicators, Thresholds and Uncertainties of the Global Water System